[thelist] Re: Hn tags

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Sat Jun 22 18:32:01 CDT 2002

> Yikes -- I guess you're not primarily a writer!

hi carol

primarily?   primarily i'm a hunk   ;o)

> Heading tags are the exact equivalent of
> headings and subheadings off-line.

that's hardly an endorsement

headings and subheading offline are linear, whereas a properly structured
document can have its components subtly altered out of linear flow

go look at http://pretentiousblowhard.org and try some of the style sheet
variations (oops, i just checked, it's "down for maintenance" -- oh well,
come back later and have a boo, it's amazing what variations you can get
with style sheets)

for example, a nav bar that appears at the top of a page, but lower down in
the source code so as not to show up in search engine descriptions

> We certainly do expect them to get smaller as we
> move down to lower-level (more detailed) content

"move down" is the problem

here's my classic example -- it's a page that shows the three stooges, so
the h1 will say "the three stooges" and then i want an h2 for curly, larry,
and moe

i also want to place the subheading "the funniest comedians in history" and
a paragraph of introduction right under the main title

   the three stooges
        the funniest comedians in history
           actually there were six of them, but the
           "real" ones were curly, larry, and moe,
           and the three that followed, all replacements
           for curly, were never as funny
    curly
      born jerome k howard, curly was...
    larry
      larry fine, besides being the slappee or recipient
      of most of the violence, was an accomplished violinist...
    moe
      moe howard, jerome and shemp's older brother, was the
      undisputed leader of the team, and...

like i said, this is a religious war, so please try to follow along   ;o)

since i want "the funniest comedians in history" to be a heading, i have a
right to choose a heading level for it (rather than a styled <p> -- ugh)

but i've already decided i want curly, larry, and moe to be h2's, so....

so the "h1's must be used in sequence" fanatics will require that i apply
h3's to curly, larry, and moe, and give h2 to the subheading under the main
title

which, by the way, also forces me to do all sorts of awkward crap in the
style sheets to get the h2 looking smallish and the h3's for curly, larry,
and moe biggish

when in actuality, if i go h1-h3-h2-h2-h2, everything's hunky-dorey, it
looks the way i want and what's more *it has the depth of importance i
want* because another thing the w3c says, in addition to "don't skip an hx
number or the sky will fall" is that the heading level is supposed to
represent the *importance* of the material it sits in front of, and in the
page i've constructed, that paragraph under the title is not as important
as the three paragraphs about curly, larry, and moe

see?  and it doesn't help if you say "oh, just move that intro paragraph
down to the bottom of the page and *place* it at the top using positioning"
because then it would belong to moe, n'est-ce pas?  see the problem?

about your problem...

>camilio.accesswriters.com/prop_ad1.shtml

don't float the logo

rudy
http://rudy.ca/
"you jump in fronta my car