[thelist] Re: site check/advice please?

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Mon Jun 24 12:15:00 CDT 2002

Okay, after exhaustively reading and evaluating everyone's suggestions
about font sizes, I've decided to leave my body text up to the browser
(my normal strategy anyway!), but reset heading tags to EM's. Now my
CSS looks like this:

body {
	background-color: #CCFFFF;
	background-image: "kelly.gif";
	background-repeat: repeat;
	margin-left: 120PX;
	margin-right: 80PX
}

div.logo {float: right;
	margin-right: -20PX}

h1,h2,h3 {margin: 2EM;
	font-family: sans-serif;
	color: #003399;
	text-align: center
}
h1 {font-size: 1.7EM;
	margin-top: 120PX}
h2 {font-size: 1.4EM}
h3 {font-size: 1.1EM}

/*  _________________________________

[snip out links, tables, etc. -- don't worry, the tables contain really
tabular data!]_____________________________________  */

ul.nav	{
	float: left;
	width: 110PX;      /* mandatory for floated elements, unless
replaced */
	margin-left: -60PX;
	list-style-type: none;	/* values can include disk, circle,
square... */
}
ul.nav li {font-family: sans-serif}

Actually, the only reason I find it necessary to do this is because I
like headings to be sans-serif, so I specify that font family.
Unfortunately, the font-family: sans-serif is typically interpreted in
ugly ways (too wide Universe, I think). As for my margin-top: 120PX,
that was because I wanted to force the main heading to start below the
floated logo at the right, and the ul.nav at the left; I just used the
image's height value.

Anyway, could you folks who can test in diverse browsers have a look at
(for example) camilio.accesswriters.com -- just let me know if anything
is really illegible/unhearable/whatever? I won't mind if a small
browser window puts the nav-text a bit on top of the logo, I just want
to know if anything's illegible because of odd browser interpretations
(or "bugs").

Tia!
Carol Stein
techwatcher at accesswriters.com