[thelist] Let the bashing begin

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 25 08:06:03 CDT 2002

> From: Madhu Menon <webguru at vsnl.net>
>
> >http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20020624.html
> >Believability down 98.7%, Jakob! I used to be a fan...
[...]
> I find that the size of oranges have gone up in the last 1.5 years.
> Oranges are now 4% bigger. How do I know this? Because when I surveyed
> the size of apples 1.5 years ago, I found that they were 4% smaller
> than oranges now are.

i'm surprised no one's glommed onto this statement:

"our 2001 guidelines for e-commerce usability"

they're *his* guidelines, not anyone else's... as such, if you want to
know what they are, you have to purchase them.... so, unless a
company shells out $170 (albeit, a pittance) for these guidelines,
how can they even attempt to follow them?  and are these
guidelines necessarily the best ones out there?

hell, he left amazon out of the mix, and they placed first two years
ago (according to http://evolt.org/article/list/1/29138/)

i have a dozen guidelines for ecommerce sites, one of which
involves me getting free stuff -- but i don't get any yet, so no sites
have improved by my guidelines...

of course, the idea that 4% of a 15 subject field (that's not the
same field as the first survey) is statistically significant is, kinda
bizarre, which is why i think it was so easy to note that one...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself