[thelist] Re: Is http://here.localhost/ possible ?

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Wed Jun 26 13:39:00 CDT 2002

Hi, Craig --

> I know it's a strange question but can I have http://here.localhost/
or
> http://this.localhost/ ?

Not a strange question at all; this is one way related sites using a
single "reseller" work. The answer is, it varies with the host.

The fuller answer is, when yes, some have a numeric limitation on how
many "subdomains" you can have. For example, my Web host of choice
these days is Pronicsolutions.com -- their standard Linux-hosted plan
comes with 3 subdomains (you get to create and name up to 3). If you
want more, you buy a more expensive plan.

I once thought of making a site for writers where the main home page
would list all the writers, yet each subdomain would be linked from
that and allow each writer to have a complete site of their very own.
(My plan was to sell sites to writers, which I would then code. I
dropped it after considering how little most writers make in an average
year.) Googling around for suitable hosts, I found what you want now is
a specific hosting feature. While some hosts offer it without
limitations, and at no cost, others don't offer it at all, or charge a
lot.

Cheers --
techwatcher at accesswriters.com