[thelist] contract work questions

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Jun 27 08:42:00 CDT 2002

>Yes I know that is not legal, but I'm being paid by 2 different
>companies who happened to be owned by the same people.

Enron and Skywalker Digital Properties?

Kidding, of course ... congrats on the extra income.

<tip type="Rule #1 for new freelancers/contractors" author="Erik Mattheis">

Get it in writing!

Example: "This email is a recap of our recent telephone conversation
on 6/21/2002: [recap]. If I've left out anything or something needs
to be corrected, please respond. Thanks!

</tip>

<tip type="Testing Flash in different locations" author="Erik Mattheis">

The _url property of your movie can be really useful during
development. For instance, if a datasource is not available from a
box on which you're developing a Flash app you can check the _url
property of your movie and load static versions of your xml to be
able to preview your movie locally ... example:

if (_root._url.indexOf('dev.') != -1) {
   my_xml.load('data.cfm?var=' + var);
}
else if (var == 'apples') {
   my_xml.load('static_xml/data_apples.xml');
}
else if (var == 'oranges') {
   my_xml.load('static_xml/data_oranges.xml');
}

</tip>

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272