[thelist] http header function does not work in IE 5.0

Means, Eric D eric.d.means at boeing.com
Fri Jun 28 08:37:07 CDT 2002

Hmm, that's odd... I have a couple Perl app that do something very similar,
and they work in IE5.  I have one that serves unknown application types, and
one that serves Excel spreadsheets (generated as CSV files).

The unknown types one prints the following headers:
  #Set Content Type
  print "Content-Type: application/octet-stream\n";
  print "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=\"$fileName\"\n";
  print "Content-Length: $filesize\n";
  print "\n";

The Excel one prints these headers instead:
  print "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=troublereports.csv\n";
  print "Content-Type: application/vnd.ms-excel\n";
  print "Cache-control: private\n";
  print "\n";

You could try turning output buffering on at the very beginning of the
script, to make sure no headers are sent prematurely.
Also I note you don't appear to be quoting the filename; I don't know if
that might irritate IE in some cases (e.g. spaces etc in the filename), but
it doesn't appear to in my second example.

You could also start with the minimal headers (Content-Disposition and
-Type) and see if that works; if it does you can start adding headers back
in until it breaks again.