[thelist] Javascript pop ups

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Sat Jun 29 12:43:01 CDT 2002

> The problem is this, I can't seem to work out
> the correct code for the onMouseOut function...

hi ratking (love that name)

what's it (not) doing?  not closing the popup?

you need to give the popup, the child window, a name --

   kirby=window.open('whoswho.htm', 'names', config=...)

and then to close it, you don't even need a function, just say

   onMouseOut="kirby.close()"

> 1. When the pop up appears it says Untitled at the top, but you
>  can clearly see I have given it a title.

the title that's on the title bar of the popup will come from the TITLE tag
of the page that is opened in that window, in your case whoswho.htm  -- the
name you code as the second parameter in the open() is something else

> 2. I have explained I would like the name as a hyperlink, but how can you
> disable the link so if you click on it, nothing happens?

please read jeff's article

   Links & JavaScript Living Together in Harmony
   http://evolt.org/article/harmony1/17/20938/index.html

overlib is really slick, but might be overkill for your purposes

rudy
http://rudy.ca/