[thelist] Re: Shopping Sites, Credit Cards

Kathy Long kathy at site-etc.com
Sun Jun 30 16:21:01 CDT 2002

Keith,
I appreciate your post and it is something I will look into further now
because it seems to contradict my personal experience with the B of A
gateway.  We recently tried to retrieve the cc number of one of our
customers and were told, "Sorry. We don't store those numbers." A client of
ours tried to do the same thing with Authorize-net and was met with the same
response. If the tech support people he and I both talked to were
uninformed, at least it should be noted that IF those cc numbers are stored
and available to me as the merchant holder, they are NOT easily accessible
from my control panel anywhere that I could find.  So, at least they are not
just a few clicks and a password away. You've got me curious and I'll double
check on this tomorrow, but it looks like we might be able to put the
"doesn't matter who I am..." message on our site as well.

I'm curious. What gateways do you know of that do that? Perhaps they are
ones that I should not recommend.

Here's a little story about PayPal that I'd like to add. My client uses
PayPal for her eBay auctions. A buyer purchased a digital camera from her.
She delivered and he even posted positive feedback on her behalf. He then
notified his credit card company that it was an unauthorized purchase. They,
in turn, charged it back to PayPal who turned around then and hit her
account for the money plus the charge-back fee! She now is faced with going
to small claims court to get her money and/or her camera back.  Besides the
positive feedback, she also has the man's signature on the UPS delivery
form, so quite obviously this man is a crook. I didn't realize it was so
easy for people to get out of their credit card charges! Or is it just
easier when PayPal is involved? I don't know and am making no judgements
here, but would like to hear what others have to say.

In addition, I was the one who posted the story about my first attempt to
purchase at my client's site using PayPal. Do you recall that story? It was
a nightmare because of their member login requirement and ended up with me
giving up. What good is a secure payment processing system if your buyers
give up trying? I don't recommend anyone using PayPal unless they sell
one-of-a-kind items which are the only kinds of products that may keep the
buyers from high-tailing it over to Amazon where it is a lot easier to shop.
Boy, I'd sure like to hear what Jared Spool would say about this. Is he on
this list?

End of rant too. :->

Thanks for your comments,
Kathy