[thelist] Temporary Download Link

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Mon Jul 1 19:42:00 CDT 2002

On Mon, 01 Jul 2002 17:24:28 -0700
Burhan Khalid <burhankhalid at members.evolt.org> wrote:

> Hello All :
>
> I wanted the survey the list members as to your opinions on creating
> random links for file downloading. For example, once a user enters
> their email, a random link is created for a file, which expires after
> a certain time. Any ideas on how to go about doing this? I'm open to
> suggestions (since this is at a design stage).

Initial thoughts:

You could try using the code from:

http://www.evolt.org/article/Make_your_PHP_code_portable/17/28117/index.html

to send a usename and password to a PHP script which then checks the
parameters against a database (date, file, username, password as the
fields) opens the real file and then passes it on to the visitor.

e.g.

http://myserver.com/downloads/username/password

where "downloads" is the php script

could result in

http://myserver.com/downloads/dorward/bfj783hf93f01nf891

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
HTML email is a bit like using coloured paper and glitter ink on a CV.