[thelist] Opera, Macromedia join on Mac efforts

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue Jul 2 11:54:01 CDT 2002

Ben Dyer wrote:
> Opera, an Oslo, Norway-based browser maker that has managed to eke out a
> living despite miniscule market share, will provide Macromedia with an
> embeddable browser. The San Francisco-based software company will integrate
> the browser into several of its Web development titles for Apple Computer's
> Macintosh OS.
>
> <http://news.com.com/2100-1023-941180.html?tag=fd_top>
>
> Interesting.  Discuss. :)

Seems a little silly to me since embedding Mozilla would be free and
they would get easy access to full source code.  Perhaps its easier to
pay Opera to do the embeding rather than hire programmers to work with
the embeded Mozilla project. Maybe they just want to be different from
Microsoft and AOL.

It also doesn't make sense to me to use Opera *just* for the Mac.  Why
have different embeded browsers on different platforms?

And when will RDS work on every platform?

my $.02,
Judah