[thelist] The Future of Browser-Bound XML?

Michael Mell mike at nthwave.net
Wed Jul 3 15:15:01 CDT 2002

jcanfield at magisnetworks.com wrote:

> > So what are we supposed to use to display XML files to the
> > web without first changing them into the HTML/CSS paradigm?
> > Or is that how we're "supposed" to do it?
>
> Hi joel (I just like typing that ;)
>
> One of the points of XML is that it's more or less media-neutral.

The original question, rephrased, is "How am I supposed to use XML in the
browser without doing backend processing?"

I don't know the answer, but would like to hear one.

If we agree that CSS is an adequate page layout method, can I shoot the
browser a style sheet and an xml file and get a well formatted page? Not at
present, not with current browsers, as far as I know. However, that does seems
to be the goal as stated in the W3C XHTML doc:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#future

mike[at]nthwave.net
llemekim         YahooIM
415.455.8812     voice