[thelist] JAVASCRIPT: realtime update of input fields in a form

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Wed Jul 3 15:32:01 CDT 2002

what i've encountered is that the "preview" is not updated until you add
a character or change a character. for example if you paste a string
into the input box, the preview will not be displayed until you add a
character, or at the least press the space bar.

that could be what tom was talking about when he said...

<snip>
Now, the setTimeout probably is not a good idea - I think if you
change it to setInterval (and assign it to a variable) you will be
using the correct method. Have it check at intervals of a couple
seconds or whatever you want, and when the page submits clear the
interval for clean up.
</snip>

but i'm not sure but i'll have to figure out what he means later since
i've just been playing around with the current implementation of it.

chris.