[thelist] Re: PHP and problem validating XHTML strict page

Tim Luoma luomat at peak.org
Sat Jul 6 14:45:01 CDT 2002

Nathan Wright wrote:

>So if I read your tip correctly, the proper format of a form
>containing an inline element (like the <input /> tag) must
>include a <div> as a block level "wrapper" of sorts. As in:
>
><form>
>		<input />
></form>
>
>Do I understand you correctly? I've attempted this (along with
>Ed's suggestion), and it seems to work ... sort of. Because I
>am not the one adding the input tag to the form (in fact, PHP
>is auto-generating this tag entirely absent of my assistence), I
>am unable to control the placement of this tag inside the
>HTML ... and therefore I cannot wrap it in a <div> the way it
>so desperately needs to be. Is there a way to turn this
>"feature" in PHP off, or am I stuck with non-validating forms?

It's not clear to me why you can't do this, but only because I'm not
familiar with what you are trying to do and how you are doing it.  If I
saw your PHP I might be able to help (or not).

Anyway, the <div> does not have to wrap around *each* <input /> just
after the <form> and before the </form>

Just a note of clarification, in case that helps

TjL