[thelist] ftp problems- can't get file list on a Mac

Kathy Long kathy at site-etc.com
Sat Jul 6 15:29:01 CDT 2002

I am having a helluva time ftp-ing on my Mac to my new Linux server. I can
connect just fine, but whenever I try to open a directory with a lot of
files, it takes a very long time and then I get an alert, "150 Opening ASCII
data connection for file list." It appears that I am connected but the
directory list is blank. Sometimes this will go on for hours and then
finally the gates just open for no apparent reason.

Here is what I'm using:
OX 9.2.2
Linux router acting as a firewall
GoLive or Fetch - software doesn't see to matter
I've tried both passive and non-passive modes

I can ftp just fine with wsFTP on my PC behind the same firewall

I'm at my wits end and am ready to throw in the towel with this Mac. Any
ideas? I will be eternally grateful.

Kathy