[thelist] ASP and form question

lon.kraemer lwkraemer at directvinternet.com
Mon Jul 8 20:52:01 CDT 2002

> > I see NO <input type=hidden> in your form.
>
>     Took them out, probably before you checked the form.

YUP, that'll do it.

> > The form looks almost[0] fine (other than no proper validation for
the

> > * To receive a response, please fill out at least
> > one of these fields (Phone, Fax, or Email).
> >
> > statement.
>
>     The client only wants one field to display -- the fullname field.
We want to change the form but they don't at this point. Hopefully, we
can convince them to change it (and I will then put proper validation in
for the other fields). This is a site we inherited and client will be
leaving present host for a new one any day...which is why I was in such
a panic to get the script working correctly. I have no idea what scripts
are being used on the present site and there was no one to contact about
it. Even tho it may not look so great now, it was terrible code. I
stripped 18 tables out of the order page alone and left what you see.
Wasn't brave enough yet to try XHTML but at least pared down the code
quite a bit. There were non quoted attributes, uppercase tags, and NO
CSS at all so it was littered with font tags, etc. The original order
form had about 4-5 <input hidden> fields referring to unknown (to me)
and unreachable scripts (perhaps Perl) and no JS validation.

No worries. I was getting ahead of the conversation.

> > These are the input fields I find in the form:
> > fullname
> > address
> > city
> > state
> > zip
> > homephone
> > workphone
> > fax
> > email
> >
> > [0]All your type="checkbox" items are marked up incorrectly. In your
> > case they should all be named the same with the value="what you have
now
> > as name" - value="yes" means nothing - the value (0,1) is passed
based
> > on whether or not the checkbox is ticked.
> >
> > then a textarea:
> > Comments
>
>     Mmmmm. The 6 checkbox choices do show up in the data passed to the
email and read out as "yes" next to the items I checked on the form
(when testing). This correctly indicates they are interested in more
info for those items. There are blank spaces displayed next to the items
they did not check meaning they're not interested. Guess I don't see the
problem??????

Not really a problem, just an alternative. Your way probably suits you
best.

> > Can we see the exact code in process.asp now?
>
>     Sure. I already posted the URL but here 'tis again:
>
> http://www.chefsteve.com/chocfoundry/html/process.txt

I knew I should've questioned that enctype!

Good luck,
--
Lon Kraemer