[thelist] RE: [thelist] Re: PHP and problem validating XHTML strict page

Means, Eric D eric.d.means at boeing.com
Tue Jul 9 13:21:06 CDT 2002

>Thanks for the clarification. As far as the PHP code that's
>causing the XHTML validation bug, I'd send it to you, but
>unfortunately there's nothing really to send. The page is
>basically a stright HTML page with a few PHP includes. The
>form that's causing the whole problem is a straight HTML form
>with no PHP in it at all

Just as a semi-educated guess, it sounds like PHP is inserting a field that
contains the PHP session ID.  The only reason I can think of that it would
do this is that the site is configured to use URL rewriting to propagate
session IDs, which would be a setting in the INI (session.use_cookies tells
the server whether to use cookies or to rewrite URLs, and
session.use_trans_sid tells it whether to automatically rewrite URLs or make
each page do it explicitly).  I would check the INI and see what those
settings are - it would not surprise me if that was the problem.  If so, you
can disable session.use_trans_sid to keep the form input from appearing,
though that will break sessions unless you manually rewrite URLs etc to
include the session id.
Here's a URL:
http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/php/2001/04/26/sessions.html