[thelist] PWS and PHP

Jackson Yee jyee at vt.edu
Tue Jul 9 14:44:01 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jay Blanchard" <jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 12:36
Subject: RE: [thelist] PWS and PHP

> [snip]
> I am running PWS on a Win 98 machine and am trying to get PHP installed. I
> have downloaded the Windows installer version and went through the install
> process without errors. BUT, when I try to open a sample PHP page, the
> browser asks me if I want to download the PHP file instead of just opening
> it. When I select Open, PHP.exe opens up (in an MS-DOS window) for a split
> second them closes itself.
>
> I also tried to install PHP3 and went through the manual install of that
> (w/registry tweaks). Same problem.....
>
> What can I do to get the PHP pages to be served up by PWS without prompting
> my to download the file?
> [/snip]
>
> Here is a good tutorial
> http://www.thickbook.com/extra/php_apachephp4_win_mod.phtml

Jay's link wouldn't help you with Personal Web Server, as it applies to
installation of the Apache PHP module.  However, I highly suggest using Apache
instead of PWS due to both security issues and the fact that you won't have a
hard-coded limit for number of connections to your machine.  I've been using
PHPTriad from

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phptriad/

and have been very satisfied with the easy installation process.  There's much
documentation to read on it floating around the web as well, so if you're
planning on using PHP on Win32, I'd highly suggest using it.

If you're adamant about staying with PWS, you can find a good link at

http://php.weblogs.com/easywindows

Regards,
Jackson Yee
jyee at vt.edu