[thelist] Re: IE and Standards Compliance (was: Re: news.com article on browsers and mainstream sites etc..)

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Tue Jul 9 20:10:01 CDT 2002

On July 09, 2002 at 20:38, Tim Luoma wrote:

> Let me rephrase.... I have to use IE to use WindowsUpdate, the easy
> way of finding/closing security holes or new drivers (although CNet's
> Catchup service does a good job on most of the security stuff).

Kind of getting a bit off topic here so a tip is being generated, but if you
updated your Windows Media Player you may want to re-read their new
EULA:

*Digital Rights Management (Security). You agree that in order to protect the
integrity of content and software protected by digital rights management
("Secure Content"), Microsoft may provide security related updates to the OS
Components that will be automatically downloaded onto your computer.
These security related updates may disable your ability to copy and/or play
Secure Content and use other software on your computer. If we provide such
a security update, we will use reasonable efforts to post notices on a web
site explaining the update.

   Quoted from Robert X.Cringley: This gives Microsoft the right to go inside
your computer and change pretty much anything they like, even if it disables
applications from other vendors -- applications you paid good money for.
And if they do mess with the inside of your computer they don't have to ask
permission or do anything except post an explanation on some web site
somewhere.
Scary huh?

Read the whole article here:
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20020627.html and his follow-up: