[thelist] Offline code validation tools

pandion pandion at gmx.net
Fri Jul 12 05:29:10 CDT 2002

At 00:04 2002.07.12, Duncan O'Neill wrote:
>In the past I've used both the CSE Validator, and
>Liam Quinn's A Real Validator. IMO the latter is way
>better, and I've since ditched CSE for ARV. The former
>is more like an HTML Lint, it will throw 'errors' which
>aren't strictly validation errors.
>
>To re-check, I ran the page linked below through
>all three. Online version of CSE validator: 8 errors.
>A Real Validator (local): 0 errors.
>W3C validator: 0 errors.

Yes, CSE has a history of being error prone (in the bad sense!). Quinn has
some interesting numbers here:
<http://www.arealvalidator.com/real-validation.html>
That is of course based on an older version but last I tried it, maybe 6
months ago, it still flagged false errors.

I wonder if ARV isn't the only offline "real" validator if one doesn't want
to install the W3C or WDG scripts locally? I like it a lot. It handles
XHTML and custom DTDs. I also like its clean interface. CSE's officious
hints give me pimples. As a bonus it comes with a .chm version of WDG's
HTML4 Reference. Great quick reference with links to the relevant spots at w3c.

pandy