[thelist] copyright or wrong?

AJ Dalton a_j_dalton at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 14 17:27:01 CDT 2002

I'm not a lawyer either.  But I thought that this had been settled long ago.
  "stimilon.com" and 'stimilon.org' and 'Stimilon International' are three
separate things.  If the corporation wanted to protect 'stimilon.org' - they
should have protected it by spending the $9 and registering it (that would
have been a lot cheaper for them then paying their lawyer to write the
threat letter).

I understood that it is up to a company to protect domain names that come
close to their names.  In theory, I could register as "General-Motors.com"
if they didn't protect it.  But, organizing a company and vending products
under the name "General Motors" is entirely different than using a similar
domain name, I gather.

Am I correct?

AJ