[thelist] OT: Reasons for a real domain not...

Bob Boisvert webdad at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jul 15 07:14:20 CDT 2002

a free site such as Geocities. I was asked by a non profit group member why
I think they need a real web site instead of a free one by Geocities, I have
been maintaining a free site for them quick and dirty for about two years
now. This is a non profit for parents of multiple birth children (twins,
triplets and more) and they can afford it. My reasons were the following:

More visibility
The web site becomes, I think more of a viable web site in the eyes of the
user when it has it's own domain.

also,

Increased functionality and increased interactivity between the user and the
site provided the site is designed properly.

I didn't go into the why's and what for of being able to use specific
languages like ASP or other server side  stuff because I know they don't
want to here that.

Does anyone have any other comments about why a non profit group should opt
for a real domain and web site? Any comments are welcome.

Bob