[thelist] hosting

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Mon Jul 15 12:49:02 CDT 2002

Feingold Josh S wrote:
> I am looking for dirt-cheap hosting.

Is "affordable" good enough? :-)

> No more than 50megs of storage and bandwidth needed.  Any OS environment is
> fine.  Should have decent level of service.  Need to use my domain name.

<http://www.affordablehost.com/>

Excellent support, uses Redhat Linux, can use an existing domain or
register one for you (if register, you pay extra, of course), has PHP,
Perl, MySQL, and probably a great deal more I haven't tried out so don't
know about.

The package I think you're after would cost you US$45/year (not
including your domain name's renewel, which you'd presumably carry out
with your existing registrar, anyway).  Pretty damn cheap for what you get.

Oh yeah, since I'm posting anyway, I might as well pay that tip I've
been owing the past two months or so :o)

<tip type="naming CSS classes and IDs" author="Mark Gallagher">
When naming your classes and IDs for use with a stylesheet, remember to
name them in the same way as HTML tags are named - that is, describing
what they *are* rather than what they *do*.  For example, a menu should
be named, say, "menu", rather than "right-text-block".

For a time I had a menu with an ID of "rightlinks", which proved quite
confusing when I attempted to redesign simply by altering the
stylesheet, and the new design featured the "rightlinks" menu on the left!

Similarly, if you've decided that all nouns are to be coloured blue and
bolded, don't use a class of "boldblue" or similar, but use "nouns", so
that when, three months later, you make all nouns red and underlined,
you don't feel like a complete idiot.
</tip>

--
Mark Gallagher