[thelist] Re: SQL Server 2000 or mySQL?

Tim Luoma luomat at peak.org
Tue Jul 16 09:00:01 CDT 2002

Ken Kogler wrote:
> I'm going to be getting a DSL line and moving my websites from a hosting
> provider (Win2K/SQL2000) to my own dedicated Win2K boxen. I've got the
> licensing all squared away, except for my db server.
> SQL is SQL, so I shouldn't have to worry about changing my code if I switch
> to mySQL, right? I don't think I'm using MS-proprietary SQL in anything...

SQL is SQL to an extent... there are some features that are not yet
implemented in MySQL that means that people use other ways of coding
them to get what is more easily gotten if you are using "real" SQL.

You don't say what your site does or what it is for... There are some
disadvantages to MySQL in how it implements some features... that said,
Yahoo! Finance runs MySQL, so I daresay that it can be configured to
handle pretty much whatever you throw at it.

It is my understanding (and I may be wrong) that there are some
syntactical differences between any SQL implementation... so whatever
one you learn will not be 100% "compliant" with every other implementation.

I believe there is an ANSI SQL syntax (I'm not even sure I am using the
right terms here) which is standardized, but I don't know much about that.

My conclusion: Take the money you are saving by not using MS' SQL Server
2000 and buy some MySQL books.

oh!  It's also worth noting that MySQL is **NOT** free for all
commercial uses.  See http://www.mysql.com/support/arrangements.html

HTH
TjL