[thelist] SSH to MySQL from Windows

Tim Parkin tim at pollenation.net
Thu Jul 18 02:31:00 CDT 2002

>I'm trying to do some work for a potential new client. The ISP has set
up a
>MySQL db but says the only way I can connect is via SSH. I don't have a
>Unix/Linus box available, only Windows. I'm comfortable with command
line
>stuff, and fairly comfortable with Unix, but my only experience with
MySQL
>is thru PhpMyAdmin (as in members.evolt.org)

Add my vote for SecureCRT. It's a great program... Putty is cool too and
I use it extesively for ssh tunneling (with pageant).

You might want to try using ssh tunnelling to MySQL

RE Manual

"Do not transmit plain (unencrypted) data over the Internet. These data
are accessible to everyone who has the time and ability to intercept it
and use it for their own purposes. Instead, use an encrypted protocol
such as SSL or SSH. MySQL supports internal SSL connections as of
Version 4.0.0. SSH port-forwarding can be used to create an encrypted
(and compressed) tunnel for the communication."

Try this link

http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/May2001/article202.shtml

Tim
PollenationInternet

Ps <cough>postgres</cough>

Ps You should be able to set up phpmyadmin locally and have it connect
to your remote machine via ssh.