[thelist] Re: Rich Text vs. Doc files (was Do we still need t o say Download Acrobat Reader?)

Alan Wood alan.wood at context.co.uk
Thu Jul 18 03:31:00 CDT 2002

Tim Luoma wrote:

> MS' version of RTF isn't compliant (why do they insist on co-opting
> every standard to their own usage?)

RTF is a Microsoft format - they invented it and they re-define it from time
to time.

Some versions of WordPerfect cannot read some versions of RTF produced by
Word for Windows.

<tip type="RTF compatibility" author="Alan Wood">
If you want to produce RTF files that can be read by any application that
understands RTF files, then don't use a modern version of Word.  I use Word
2 (Windows version) and so far nobody has complained that they cannot use
the files.
</tip>

Alan Wood
http://www.alanwood.net (Unicode, special characters, pesticide names)