[thelist] vertical DHTML scroller

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 18 04:46:01 CDT 2002

>Does anyone know of any good DHTML resources?

Pushing my own site once again:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?introdh.html and following pages.

>I've been trying to put
>together a DHTML vertical news scroller for a site I'm building for Friday.
>The spec is IE5x, IE6, NS6x and (insanely) NS4.x and although I've found a
>few scripts which kind of work on their own

Another: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?layerscroll.html

- they don't behave too well
>when put up against some 'document.write's and dynamically accessed DIV's I
>have written to help with sizing the page on different browsers.

Especially in NN4 this isn't a good idea, no. I recommend dropping the
dynamic sizing and give the scrolling DIV a fixed size.

>I have a recent build of the page where the scroller should be inserted at
>:
>http://www.jasonhepi.com/staging/protege/
>And if you view this the large red rectangle on the left of the page (under
>company news) is where the scroller should be. I'd like to use absolute
>positioning to specify the position of a containing DIV as there is a DIV
>(ID="DOMHook") already in that position which is resized according to the
>size of the browser window -

But that isn't necessary, is it? It remains at the same coordinates relative
to the upper left corner. Don't make it difficult for yourself: just give
the DIV an absolute position that puts it where it is now.

this is used to force the orange image to the
>base of the page (because of NS4.x I didn't want to nest the tables too
>deeply or use <table height="100%"> and a CSS2 DIV layout would not have
>replicated the design on NS4.x).

Basically this is very, very difficult (if not impossible) in NN4. Advice:
use an absolute position with bottom: 0px; for the image. It won't work in
Version 4 browsers, but that's just Too Bad.

>While writing this email its just occured to me that I may be able to move
>the -
>Also as a v.minor question - can anyone see why the rollovers at the top of
>the don't seem to image swap in NS6.x (I'm using NS6.2 if that's any help).

Nor in IE5Mac, but I don't know why. The functions look good.

ppk