[thelist] People who have Flash plug-in

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Fri Jul 19 20:53:01 CDT 2002

mick,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Mick958 at aol.com
>
> Does anyone have info from a client site or any other
> decent sources for current statistics that would give
> a true picture of how many people actually have Flash
> set up for their browsers?

i'm going to trot out a cliche response, but only because it's *very* appropriate in this context -- it depends on your audience.

i currently have a client who has an all flash site.  we're converting the entire front-end over to a dynamic, database driven solution.  because of the depth of control from the database that's necessary it simply wasn't feasible to continue to use flash for the entire thing.  however, when talking with the client the concern about install percentages wasn't an issue for him.  his audience is made up entirely of affluent surfers with new, high-end computers, and all running flash.  normally i'd raise an eyebrow, but this client knows his audience really well.  so, the usual argument about everyone not having flash wasn't a valid argument with him.

nonetheless, we found plenty of good reasons to not use it in the redesign of his site.

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org
http://members.evolt.org/jeff/