[thelist] OT - do programmers/designers know *everything*?

Roger Harness magic32 at jps.net
Tue Jul 23 12:39:02 CDT 2002

List folks...i've been wondering about this for a while, and have always
been too embarassed/worried to ask. But it's getting to a point where I
think I *need* to ask.

I'm a 'struggling' web designer/developer/programmer. I know quite a bit
about HTML, and a little about everything else. (in some cases, VERY
little). I'm working retail to pay the bills, and honestly, I only have a
few actual *paying* web jobs. (and that's even sorta debatable).

I think I'm older then the majority of most folks on here who are still
basically starting out. (closing in on my mid-thirties). Did that read
correctly? I mean that most folks my age are probably past my current
situation of not really making any money from their web practices yet.

Guess there's actually two parts to my question:

1. Are most of the folks on this list (for example) actually making a decent
living programming, coding, design etc? Whether it be free-lance, or working
for other companies etc?

2. For the folks that ARE doing well enough to not have to work a 'real' job
(you know...as in retail, services...etc etc,...anything NOT to do with
their web passions)...do you folks actually know in your head most of the
skills you need to perform? For example, PERL/CGI programmers...can you
actually, basically write working code that without having to rely on your
notes, code snippets, manuals, etc? Or is that just silly? Do almost ALL
hardcore designers/programmers use some sort of 'help' when working on
projects?

Does that question even make sense? Personally, I get a little nervous that
maybe I don't really have the "stuff" to make it in this business, as I
really can't even do a basic JavaScript roll-over script without referring
to either my books, or at least previous work. And while I DO seem to be
getting a handle on mysql-PERL stuff, I couldn't put a working web-based
database together from the top of my head, if my life depended on it. Ya
know?

Sorry for taking up so much space for a probable WAY off-topic question, but
this thing has been nagging at me for a while. Usually everytime I look at
the job market and see all the skills required. If they pulled me in for an
interview, and told me to make a working CGI form, I'm pretty sure I'd just
totally embarass myself.

Anyways, thanks for time, and again, sorry for taking up so much of it.

tia,

-Roger Harness
---