[thelist] OT - do programmers/designers know *everything*?

Wade Armstrong wade_lists at runstrong.com
Tue Jul 23 15:08:00 CDT 2002

on 7/23/02 10:41 AM, Roger Harness at magic32 at jps.net wrote:

> do you folks actually know in your head most of the
> skills you need to perform? For example, PERL/CGI programmers...can you
> actually, basically write working code that without having to rely on your
> notes, code snippets, manuals, etc? Or is that just silly? Do almost ALL
> hardcore designers/programmers use some sort of 'help' when working on
> projects?

I don't think most people on this list know *everything* - and especially
cannot *do* everything well.

I've found the key is to know a whole bunch of people who are good at all
that other stuff I'm not good at. Make friends with folks, bring a team
together for big projects.

And as for yourself, get good at some intersection of what you enjoy and
what your customers seem to like.

Wade