[thelist] web site maintenance woes (rant)

Dave Nelson dnelson at netbank.com
Tue Jul 23 16:19:01 CDT 2002

Rebecca Milot-Bradford [mailto:RMilot-Bradford at nsca-lift.org] wrote:
<snip>
> Well, ideally what I would like to do is figure out an
> effective way to
> explain that the web site doesn't have to hold every document the
> organization has produced in the past 25 years. And that every single
> committee we have probably shouldn't spend all of their time
> figuring out
> more things that could possibly be on the web site. I dunno,
> maybe I'm just
> not good at business speak, but I can't seem to get the point across.
>
> Thanks for letting me rant!
>
> Becky

But it should contain every document that the company ever produced and all
the revisions of those documents. Why shouldn't it?

The real problem is coming up with a design and a navigational structure
that will support that way of thinking from the start. I am struggling with
that right now.

My favorite design was;
1. The company logo real nice and big
2. A search box that can search for files by name, date, full-text, author,
revision, etc... without being told which
3. A "go" button (a regular HTML submit button made pretty with CSS)
4. And a very small copyright notice.

Dave Nelson