[thelist] Netscape, Frame, Target, Different Domains

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Wed Jul 24 05:05:01 CDT 2002

I'm aware that I've done nothing but whinge for help here for a couple of
days, and I promise that once this rash of overwork is done, I shall
contribute more useful stuff. However, here's some very weird behaviour
from good ol' Netscape. Anyone able to help me out?

There is a frameset with frames named "top", "body", "right" and "bottom".

This frameset is on a domain, which we'll call marmalade.com. One of the
frames loaded is on what we'll call jammaking.com (These two domains are on
the same machine). It loads in the "main" frame without problems. However,
it has some links in that have a target attriubute of "right".

On my machine, Windows XP, this works as expected in Internet Explorer
(6.0) and Mozilla (1.0), but in Netscape (4.75), it opens in a new window.

Over on jammaker.com, the same setup behaves as expected, when a similar
frameset is on jammaker.com, not marmalade.com.

However, on a Windows 2000 machine, the same link does nothing at all in
Netscape, while still behaving as expected in IE (Mozilla is not installed
on that machine). No new window, no loading in the "right" frame, nothing.
Just an hourglass for about 2 seconds and then back to the normal pointer.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com