[thelist] JS help: including a file as footer

Mark Howells mark at mountain.ch
Wed Jul 24 08:06:01 CDT 2002

> Now I don't know jack 'bout JavaScript, and haven't had any luck trying
> to find any good examples of how to have 'footer.js' read the contents
> of 'footer.html'

I toyed with this a few years ago and found that the quickest (and very much
dirtiest) way was to use document.write in the footer.js file to write the
footer of the page. It's slow, inaccessible and doesn't validate (and that's
before we get onto search engine accessibility and browsers without
Javascript).

Is there a reason why you can't switch to alternative web server software,
such as Apache?

Regards
Mark Howells
<http://www.mark.ac/evl/>