[thelist] alt tags

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 24 09:14:00 CDT 2002

> From: "Chris Price" <chris.price at stl.org>
>
> According to the RNIB you should use alt="*" where the image is used
> purely for layout purposes and for long descriptions use LONGDESC.
>
> ref: http://www.rnib.org.uk/digital/hints.htm under the
> subtitle:Images

interesting, and good argument they have...

however, my own experience developing for the blind suggests that
alt="*" is far more annoying than alt=""...

granted, there is one caveat to my point -- the web developer has to
be smart enough to know when an image does and doesn't matter
to a blind/visually impaired user...

when the user has confidence the site is tailored to them (not
necessarily targetted, by coded to be accessible), then the user
doesn't much care for the approach promoted by RNIB...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself