[thelist] Dreamweaver MX and CSS

David Appleton david.appleton at barnardos.org.uk
Thu Jul 25 06:09:01 CDT 2002

Darren.

Don't be put off too early.  I've used V.3, 4 and now MX.  Admittedly I also have had the same  problem with style sheets, but so far have got around it with a little fix.

If you allow DW to assign a style sheet at the top of the document, and then allow your own CSS scripting to work further down the page, all works fine.  When you put it on to a server, you can either take the DW declaration out, or simply leave it in as your script will over-rule the DW one before it.

Not a clean fix I know, but it works ok.

If you can put up with that, MX is far better than V3.

Dave.

>>> dn at dittodesign.co.uk 25 July 2002 10:40:01 >>>
Cheers Tony,
Just installed a trial version to check it out again and some of the CSS
is run, but the text size in design view is smaller than in DW3 and editing
the pt of a text style and changing it back left me with patches of large
and small text across an area that was set to the same style. I've also
discovered that CSS is not run from a template were again previously
it was. So designing utilising templates is also out the window.

It seems such a backward step.
All my sites look pants in DWMX at design time because the css
is not running properly. As a WYSIWYG editor I think thats a major
letdown. Guess I'll stick to DW3 were CSS is fine.

All in all this release has took a major step backwards when it comes to
CSS. Maybe it was the same in DW4 I never tried that version.

Unless there's some patch released or some checkbox buried deep within
the guts that needs checking then I think I'll give this one a miss.

Darren Yates
dn at dittodesign.co.uk
http://dittodesign.co.uk
0161 281 1190