[thelist] web page extensions

Michael K. Ahn mike at ahnfire.com
Thu Jul 25 16:09:01 CDT 2002

That's true.  You specify in your webserver settings, what page to
serve, in the event that someone does not specify an actual page, just a
directory (ie http://www.domain.com/directory/)

Most webservers are configured by default, to look for pages with a
certain name, in the even that a page is not specified.  For example, it
looks for index.html, then index.cgi, default.htm, etc.  If it cannot
find a page to satisfy this condition, you'll get a 404 error, or
perhaps and directory listing denied error.

Michael

When