[thelist] dynamic mime type changing in Apache?

Devon Y. vehementpetal at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 26 02:59:01 CDT 2002

Hi.

I'm new to the list, my name's Devon.

I'd love to deliver a particular mime type to a client, depending upon it's
browser signature. Is there a way to do that? For example:

  I have a bunch of XHTML files. I'd like it so that the server delivers
these by default as "Content-Type: application/xhtml+xml", but if someone in
old Netscape, old IE, Links, or Lynx visits - the server will send these
files as "Content-Type: text/html" instead.

I can easily set the default mime type, but I haven't been able to figure
out how to sniff out a browser & change the mime type to send. I've been
combing through Apache's directives and can't yet find anything that seems
like it would work. I figure I must be missing something though.

Devon