[thelist] scrollbars in a div?

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 26 17:01:00 CDT 2002

> > thanks for the overflow suggestion, it works. but it doesn't work if
> > my DIV is a percentage (as jeff perhaps mentioned).

In which browser? Can I see the page? I've never yet encountered this
problem. Maybe you should use overflow: auto. It only shows scrollbars when
they're actually needed.

in a situation
> > like this, what is a good and usable option? i could use some
> > scrollbar script using dhtml, but i want to stay clear of all that. i
> > could use iframes which most browsers now seem to support but the
>[...]
>
>in what browsers have you tested this?
>
>O6 doesn't dig overflow... N6 may or may not handle it, depending
>on your syntax... IE5.1/Mac can sometimes collapse the entire

NN6 handles overflow fine. I never saw the collapse you mention, but
recently I found out some interesting stuff about overflow in IE5Mac. See
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?browsers5.html#ie5mac for a summary.

Concluding: overflow: auto should work, except in Opera. iframes would also
work in Opera.

>so, no help to offer, other than to suggest you test the hell out of
>it...

Or show the page to us.

ppk