[thelist] re: character encoding and !DOCTYPE help

Roger Harness magic32 at jps.net
Sat Jul 27 02:17:01 CDT 2002

Ok folks, I'm sorry. I leaped before I looked.

Did a little research, and I *think I figured out which doctypes and
character encoding I'm supposed to be using. I have a frames page, and that
was thowing me off a bit. It's all good now. My bad :)

And um...for once again waisting so much space, I'm going to try my first
tip. And even that is basically borrowed.

<tip author="roger harness type="Web Accessibility Verifier">
I actually found this link when checking out another designer's website's
links. (I'd mention that person's page/name, but that's probably not cool
eh?)

Anyways, at http://aprompt.snow.utoronto.ca/overview.htm you can download a
pretty nifty little program that...well, let me quote here:

"A-Prompt (Accessibility Prompt) is a software program designed to improve
web site accessibility for people with various disabilities. By evaluating
web pages for accessibility barriers and making repairs to correct those
problems, A-Prompt helps web developers and content authors create sites
that are accessible to the widest possible audience."

Does things as basic as checking to make sure you have your alt attributes
to making sure you have summaries for your tables. Some stuff I honestly
wasn't even aware of.

Learning,

-Roger Harness

Now I am.