[thelist] Solution to IIS screw-up problem

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Sat Jul 27 11:31:01 CDT 2002

Hello.

I had a problem last October with my IIS not working properly. I posted a
question to this list, which can be found here:
http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20011001/058506.html

with more here:

http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20011001/058592.html

Since then, I got at least one email every week from some poor soul who
faced the same problem and stumbled onto our wonderful archives while
searching the Web. They politely ask if I eventually found a solution,
which I did.

In the interest of helping others, here's what worked for me:
(It took a bloody long time to figure out)

1) First, uninstall IIS

2) Follow the advice given here:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q246/4/59.ASP
and here: http://www.iisfaq.com/Articles/288/

3) Reinstall IIS. See if it works now. If you're lucky, it will.

4) If you're not lucky (like me), you may have to do more.

5) Check if the MachineKeys folder is encrypted (check properties). If it's
not, check the encrypted box.

6) I encountered a really weird problem at stage 2. It kept denying me
access to encrypt the folder even though I had full control rights on the
folder. Unable to do anything, I deleted the folder, created a new folder
called MachineKeys in the folder, and then encrypted it. Reinstall IIS over
this.

It should be working now. If it's still not working, make you're in the
correct MachineKeys folder (do a search on your HDD to see if there are others)

And here's the original problem restated so that it will appear with the
solution in the archives and be indexed by the search engines. The rest of
you can stop reading now. ;)

Regards,

Madhu

------- Problem

I have a standalone PC running Windows 2000 Professional with SP2 and IE6
installed. This machine doesn't have a network card. When I open up the IIS
MMC, it gives me the following error:

Error connecting to Madhu: The system cannot find the path specified. Do
you wish to continue to attempt to connect to it in the future?

Because of this, I can't host a web site locally. I've tried the following:

1) Uninstalled and reinstalled IIS (no difference)
2) Looked up Microsoft knowledge base (no help there)
3) Banged my head against a wall (gave me a headache) So I turn to thelist
for assistance. Anyone know a way out of this mess?