[thelist] Redirecting with <noscript>

Nik Schramm n at industriality.com
Sat Jul 27 17:12:01 CDT 2002

On 27.Jul.02 05:29 rudy spoke thusly

> how about writing the page for the non-js users,
> and silently redirecting javascript-activated users
> with window.location or whatever it is...

Hi Rudy,

after all I've seen I will probably end up doing something like that.

> this works well for search engines, too, as they
> will just see the plain site without the javascript

Yes, that is a very good point.

> um, why did you want to redirect anybody anyhow?
> didn't you say you have a server side language
> at your disposal?

Yep, I'm using asp.net. But a server-side language doesn't tell me
whether you have JavaScript activated, it can only tell me if the
browser you're using is theoretically able to handle JS, which is of
little use, if core site functionality is dependent on js (and no, i'd
rather not get into a discussion about whether that is a wise idea in
the first place, because there is nothing I can do about it now :) ).

Still, thanks for your help.

/nik