[thelist] DNS update - web is fine, mail goes to the old server

Massimo Mezzini webmaster at menouno.com
Mon Jul 29 13:04:01 CDT 2002

On 27 Jul 2002 at 9:03, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> If it's mail from individuals or test mail you're
> sending that's being delivered to the old system,
> then you probably have an incorrect MX record problem.

after a few days of head banging, double checking and phone calls to support, it
seems like there is a very BIG difference in DNS updating frequency among ISPs,
even in the same country. Messages sent through my ADSL ISP - the former
Italian telco monopolist and the biggest one in the country - still keep vanishing. No
error messages and no delivery, not even to the old server.

Messages sent through two different ISPs get received by the new server, no
problem. Messages sent via web through my own host in the US - which also
hosted the terminated account - still go to the old server, which is quite
understandable.

Bottom line: better plan a host change well in advance and keep checking both
servers for at least 10 days.

Thanks to both Hassan and John Handelaar for sharing suggestions

ciao

Massimo