[thelist] Accessibility? Accesskey attribute.

Austin Govella austin at desiremedia.com
Mon Jul 29 15:30:01 CDT 2002

On Monday, July 29, 2002, at 02:30 PM, Donald Noble wrote:

> Hi, I am curently trying to improve the accessibility of my personal
> website ... As part of this I was considering adding
> accesskeys to the main links on the page. The problem I forsee is that
> (in IE at least) if I specify H for a link on my site, then Alt+H would
> overfull the Help menu (on my system). This seems counter-productive to
> me, so what are other peoples opinions on this?

I looked very seriously at adding access keys to a banking site I did a
while back, but I quickly discovered that many of the access key
combinations I wanted were already in use by IE, NS, Opera, or the
operating system.

If it was possible to assign any combination of keys as an access key for
your website, then there wouldn't be any problem. Unfortunately, I think
you're limited to using the alt tag.

Dreamweaver's built-in O'Reilly's reference suggests you can also use Ctrl
or Command, but ti doesn't explain how you could do this. The W3C only
mentions combinations using the Alt (Win) and the Cmd (Mac) keys.

If you learn any more, please let us know. I'm sure many of us are curious.

--
Austin