[thelist] trouble setting up forms with authorize.net

Keith cache at dowebscentral.com
Tue Jul 30 00:47:00 CDT 2002

At 10:04 AM Monday 7/29/2002, jeremy wrote:
>Okay, I finally got the payment form at my site working (thanks to TheList)
>and now I'm passing the values to Authorize.net to handle the credit card
>processing.  As it stands right now, when I submit the form, it displays a
>page with just a string of variables on it.  I'm needing the values passed
>back to my form but I'm not sure how to do it.  I e-mailed Authorize.net
>support and this is what I got...
>

> > You will need to write your script to accept and interpret then display
> > in a page created by that script for the customer.

Correct, that string is not very useful being displayed in the browser.
It's been many a moon since I used authorize.net so this is conjecture -
but it appears that they are wanting to send that string to a script on
your server via a redirect. My guess is you are not sending them the URL to
the script (perhaps you need to pre-register it on their server or send it
with your redirect to them??). My guess is that the lack of an URL to
redirect to defaults to sending the data to the browser as a page. Anyhow,
that URL parameter is what I'd look for.

An aside, your form is submitting to your server then redirecting the
submission to authorize.net. Notice that their return string includes every
field submitted *except* the CC number and expiry. Unless you are saving
the CC number (and tell the user so) for a purpose I'd feel much better
about using your service if I knew you were submitting directly to
authorize.net and *not* seeing my CC number. Since they return all the data
you need for putting me in your database, why take the data and my CC
number up front? Just a thought.....

Keith
cache at dowebscentral.com