[thelist] Accessibility? Accesskey attribute.

Alan Wood alan.wood at context.co.uk
Tue Jul 30 03:09:01 CDT 2002

Donald Noble wrote:

> Hi, I am curently trying to improve the accessibility of my personal
> website <http://drnoble.co.uk>. As part of this I was considering adding
> accesskeys to the main links on the page. The problem I forsee is that
> (in IE at least) if I specify H for a link on my site, then Alt+H would
> overfull the Help menu (on my system). This seems counter-productive to
> me, so what are other peoples opinions on this?
>
> If I were to use accesskeys what is the best method of notifying users
> of there presence? An underlined letter would be similar to MS windows,
> but I don't know if that helps or not.

I have used bold underlined to indicate access keys, as you can
see here:

http://www.alanwood.net/pesticides/accessibility.html#access

This page also lists the various key combinations required on different
browsers and operating systems.

Alan Wood
http://www.alanwood.net (Unicode, special characters, pesticide names)