[thelist] Google antics?

Ben Phillips ben at inchima.com
Tue Jul 30 06:15:01 CDT 2002

> Lost a wager today about this. Why does Google return
> different results from different locations, or different
> Internet connections?
>
> When I search for a term from the office, Google returns x
> number of results. When I come home and search for the same
> term, I get y results. And I don't mean a little bit of
> difference between x and y, it's like 6 results versus 102 results!

you may be searching in the middle of the google dance.

when google updates it's servers, it doesn't do so in one go. google has
a number of servers - some of them can be searched on at:
http://google.fergusons.dk/
and during the update, they mess around with algorithms and search
result orders and other such things meaning vastly different results
from different servers on the same search term.

have a read:
which is a brilliant google knowledge base at WebmasterWorld.

however, google may return different results from different locations,
which could be what is causing the different results you are seeing.

benji
inchima.com