[thelist] Sound Capture

Brad Farris bradfarris at maxwwwebster.com
Tue Jul 30 11:16:05 CDT 2002

Hi -

I'd really like to implement a feature in a web-based training course I'm
developing, but can't figure out a good way to do it. What I'd really like
to do is allow the user to record his or her own voice for a few seconds,
then play it back to compare with a reference pronunciation. I'd think it
could be done using a Java applet or an ActiveX control, but I haven't had
too much luck getting information. I did find a place that had what appears
to be pretty much what I'm looking for (a Java applet), but the cost was
prohibitive for this project, more than $8000. I'm a fair Java programmer,
but am loathe to try to develop this myself. Anyone know of a ready-made,
reasonably priced solution?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Brad