[thelist] replace <b> with <strong> (why dont use b tag)]

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Wed Jul 31 09:16:01 CDT 2002

At 14:41 31/07/2002 +0200, Wolfgang "Klinger (mokka)" wrote:
><strong> should be used to emphasise text and
><b> for everything else you want to have "bold", so <b> isn't
>deprecated, it's just not for emphasising...

But... anything you want in bold is probably in bold for a reason - it's a
quotation, or a header, or a certain navigation option, or a piece of
emphasized text. It is very rare to just want something in bold for no
reason at all. All of the reasons I have just listed have their own tags
which can have styles applied to them (or be "enhanced" with a class that
applies additional styles) meaning you should never actually need a bold
tag on its own - you can use CSS to apply the bold style to the tags
already surrounding the text you want in bold.

By doing this you can use HTML to add extra meaning (semantic markup) to
your documents and keep information about how your content should be
visually presented tucked away in the CSS. This makes your document far
more useful to screen readers, search engines and other weird and wonderful
user agents that haven't even been invented yet.

Regards,

Simon Willison
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~cs1spw/blog/