[thelist] OT: Adobe doesn't want your feedback

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Wed Jul 31 09:20:01 CDT 2002

>I got a better story than that. A few years back, I was filling out a
>simular form (telling a company about their web site being broken), and
>I discovered that they had labeled their form reset button "Submit" and
>their submit button "Reset".

Heh - About six or seven years ago GSA (the US gov't primary contract
vehicle for buying services and products) had just set up an online catalog
of contracts available for us to purchase from. But in order to view it you
had to sign up with their system. Being the dutiful little trooper I was I
filled out their registration form exactly as told and hit the "submit"
button.

Judging from the message I saw on the screen, their entire (Oracle!)
database server suffered a *very* fatal crash. I think they were offline for
at least a week! :)

I copied the message onto my screen saver and had it running for a while.
Got lots of laughs over it. :D

-dave

<tip type="testing" author="Dave Cantrell">
When designing your registration system, make sure you test before you go
live. Crashing your database when a user submits his/her registration is
definitely a Bad Thing(tm)...
</tip>