[thelist] BrainBench: Is it worth it?

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Thu Aug 1 06:43:01 CDT 2002

[snip]
I know some people here have taken a BrainBench course. Is there anyone who
has found that having used it was worth the cash they shelled out for it?
If a  prospective employee listed a high or low score on the application
would it have any sway upon you?
[/snip]

*ducks as flaming stones continue to be hurled in this religious war*

Frank,

There has been much discussion about certification on the list and IIRC and
do the math right it seems that most who would be in a hiring position care
nothing about certs ... instead they believe in testing and interviewing. I
believe that those in a position to hire on this list have also modified and
improved their testing methods due to the many discussions concerning this
here.

And there are quite a few in the Evolt membership who hold many BrainBench
and other certifications.

So do they hold any sway? For me, not really. I will still test candidates
through many levels whether or not their BrainBench certs say they are good
for it or not. And, while impressed by high SAT scores (mine included ;^]),
I do not use them as a basis for considering personnel. [long, long, story]

HTH!

Jay

It’s not a beer gut, it’s a liquid grain storage facility!

* Texas PHP Developers Meeting        *
* Spring 2003                         *
* T Bar M Resort & Conference Center  *
* New Braunfels, Texas                *