[thelist] I've found a great use for <span>

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Thu Aug 1 09:26:01 CDT 2002

At 10:13 01/08/2002 -0400, Raymond Camden wrote:
>Probably a simple CSS question - why do you name your item:
>
>x#y z
>
>What does the # imply? If you give something an id, then isn't it enough
>to just use the ID, in this case, y, instead of x#y?

That's a tip I picked up from Eric Meyer on css-discuss the other day. It
basically makes your CSS a tiny bit more readable - you can see what kind
of element the styles are applied to by looking at the selector, rather
than having to check through your HTML for the specific ID and find out
that way.

Cheers,

Simon